Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Low Carb friendly Egg Drop Soup

When I was a kid I can remember my mom making us Egg Drop Soup. It was one of my favorite things she'd make for us.  It was no wonder that when I found myself teaching English in northern China and found that soup is almost always part of a celebratory meal. They were often clear broth soups with egg drops or veggies and occasionally some kind of meat. The Chinese are wonderfully diverse in their cooking and I tried many different kinds of food while there. This simple recipe is the closest I've found to some of the soups I ate while living in China.  

*******************************

 

Egg Drop Soup

Homemade chicken stock is the best for this. Also, if you can't locate any of the mushroom types indicated in the recipe, crimini (aka: baby bellas) will do just fine. Or, you can just leave them out all together.

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 cups of chicken stock*
  • 1 tablespoon of corn starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
  • 1 tablespoon of soy sauce*
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
  • 3/4 cup of straw, enoki, or sliced shitaki mushrooms
*If cooking gluten-free, use gluten-free stock and gluten-free soy sauce.

Method

1 Reserve 1/2 cup of the stock and mix with the cornstarch until dissolved.
2 Place the chicken stock, ginger, soy sauce, green onions, mushrooms and white pepper in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch and stock mixture and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer.

3 Slowly pour in the beaten eggs while stirring the soup. The egg will spread out into ribbons. Turn off the heat and garnish with a few more chopped green onions. Serve immediately.

 Simply Recipes http://simplyrecipes.com
*******************
I wanted to add that I added more soy sauce than this recipe calls for as I prefer a more favorable soup and I added yam noodles (shirataki noodles which are low carb friendly)  to it to give it more substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment